Recently, I decided I wanted to work on my RTS engine more. Fortunately I was using git at the time and found an old backup. I hooked up my old repository to GitHub and started working on it about a week ago. Fortunately my coding was neat enough so I didn't have to spend a while figuring out what it all meant.
Over the last week, I focused on implementing pathing. In most RTS's, units automatically find paths around obstacles. I don't know how other RTS engines deal with it, but I decided to break the map up into a grid of rectangular nodes, each of which has a flag for occupied or not. When a unit is ordered to move, it runs the A* search algorithm using euclidean distance as a heuristic to find the optimal path. The current version is a little glitchy, but it seems to work. At the moment it is very crudely coded and would break if multiple units existed on the game or if the pathing blockers moved. I need to clean it up a little, but it's a good proof of concept right now.